Thursday, May 19, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival Entry "Urban Abacus"

My sister Jenny has designed a ruler (Quick Curve Ruler) that makes piecing curves fun, easy, and quick.  I have the privileged of being able to try out the ruler and explore design elements with it.  There are so many possibilities for design and piecing that we have had fun exploring.  This pattern is one that Jenny worked up in black/white, gray and aqua, and I changed the dimensions and made this small table topper.  I like the symmetry and interest that the curves and the sashing give this quilt.  I used Moda's  Sonnet Collection.  It was quick to put together and fun to quilt.  Notice that I added my  tab label even though I haven't written on it yet.  I used a small piece of binding, and it did not take more than 2 minutes to include the label - YEAH!

The story behind the quilt is that I wanted to try my sister's ruler and really see how easy it was to use.  Sure enough the curves and blocks pieced together in no time and whala--it was done!  The fabric line is what was left over from a planned quilt years ago.  I actually didn't make the Kaleidoscope pattern I had bought it for instead I made a  Churn Dash quilt with a big print border that turned out very nice.  I have made three quilts with this fabric and even though I really like it I am glad I don't have any left... 




Amy's Creative Side

6 comments:

  1. i love the blue fabric with the red flowers!! do you have more? i wanna make some pillows out of that! hmmm... dang i need to get myself a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh your quilt is beautiful and your idea for the binding tab is now on my list. Enjoyed your blog,I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, and the quilting really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilt that has great color and fantastic highlight quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helen.....love what u did ...the quilting looks great...I am looking forward to coming up with something for Jenny's ruler as well....I have been busy just catching up on stuff....feeling the need for some me sew time especially with all the inspiration from blogger festival!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I'm a bit jealous you got your hands on Jenny's ruler! Love the texture of your quilting and great colours too.

    ReplyDelete